“In response to a statement Akira Tohei made in the December 1978 issue — ‘There are no professional women aikidoists — a fourth-degree black belt named Mary Heiny writes in: ‘Imagine my surprise to read that I did not exist!’ “
- 2018 Gender Balance in Aikido Survey June 10, 2018 This survey will be open until September 30, 2018. Results will be released on this website in the fall.
- Sunday Thoughts: “Women in Aikido” by Andrea Siegel, Lorraine DiAnne Sensei March 19, 2018 I’ve just started reading Women in Aikido, by Andrea Siegel, a book with several interviews of women with black belts in Aikido. The book was published in 1993, so it’s a little bit dated, but so far I like it for not being a complete sales pitch for Aikido, and because the women talk about ...
- “Dojo” an excerpt from the memoir of “Years Ago,” by Jennifer Rose. February 24, 2018 Abstract: Presents an excerpt from the memoir of “Years Ago,” by Jennifer Rose. Ploughshares. Fall 2011, Vol. 37 Issue 2/3, p116-124. 9p. Source: Dojo: EBSCOhost
- Samurai of Gentle Power: An Exploration of Aikido in the Lives of Women Aikidoka February 23, 2018 by Katie Node & Kandy James January 14, 2013 From the Abstract: “This exploratory study examined the many realities of women’s experiences in the male dominated domain of martial arts. It focussed on twelve aikidoka, women who participate in the modern Japanese martial art of aikido. The study was situated within a postmodern feminist framework.” Read Article >
Aikido Women in the News
- Learning how to defend personal space June 30, 2018 “Those attending Saturday’s Women’s Self Defense Workshop hosted by The American Aikido Institute, in cooperation with Before Help Arrives, learned how to defend their personal space, the 360-degree area around a person’s body when their arm is outstretched. Instructor Garry Howard taught “real world” solutions to the class of 20 women for use when protecting themselves in an increasingly dangerous world.” The Brazil Times Read Article >
- International Aikido Federation Gender Balance Activities June 2, 2018 A list of events and activities from the IAF promoting gender balance: http://www.aikido-international.org/main-menu-archives/news-archive-2/24-iaf-latest-news/151-gender-balance-activities
- Trial by Fire: Tenzan Aikido’s Women’s Self-Defense Program June 2, 2018 On April 21st, Ikazuchi Dojo sent three students to Seattle to attend Bruce Bookman and Melissa Pittman Fischer’s seven-hour women’s self-defense intensive. Aikido Journalspeaks with the students who traveled to attend the seminar…. Read Full Article on AikidoJournal.com
- Aikido North Jersey Hosts Charity Event For Rebuilding Lives Beyond Domestic Violence June 2, 2018 Aikido North Jersey is holding its 8th Annual Rhona Smiles Benefit Seminar on June 2, 2018. This year, all donations will go to the Center for Hope and Safety NJ’s Rebuilding Lives Beyond Domestic Violence. Read Article >